(CH4) Methane Index|
For any given area (such as a city), the sum of methane emissions
from natural or artificial processes, is the Methane Index.
* Methane is 20 times worse than CO2
| Sources of Methane |
|Ancient|| coal, peat moss, permafrost, etc |
|Nature|| fields, parks, forests, lagoon |
|Digestion|| cattle, people |
|Agriculture|| mulching and composting |
- get energy by breaking long carbon chains into smaller pieces
- they can do this without oxygen, producing methane
- coal is one of the last steps of composting
Proof is the methane canary.
- consume carbon using oxygen (higher energy)
- produces CO2, oxidizes equivalent of methane "burnt"
* in both cases the energy is lost to human activity
** then we spend to produce energy using oil, coal, ...
- methane can be recovered to produce energy, saving $ and ecology
|Compost||part anaerobic, part aerobic||methane|
|Gassing||full anaerobic||CO2 + energy|